Thursday, January 10, 2008

Marat Safin Starts Kooyong Classic with a Superb Win

Former world no. 1 Marat Safin started the year with an impressive performance with a superb 6-1 6-4 victory over Andy Murray in the first match of Kooyong Classic tournament. This is an exhibition tournament involving eight male players. The winner of Australian Open 2005 was not in his great form last year with a series of injury problems. However, he has come back in the court with an inspirational victory. Naturally, he will be happy to get some better performance in Australian Open 2008.

Guardian reported:

"I don't have high expectations because it's pressure I don't need at all," the giant Russian told reporters ahead of next week's Australian Open.

"If I manage not to break myself on the way, I think I'll be somewhere around top 20, and from there it is easy to think about top 10."

"For one month and a half, I've been practising hard, seven hours a day, so I think it should be paying off at the end of the day," he said. "I'm waiting, expecting something to come."

It shows that how much eager he is to take part in the Australian Open 2008 and get back his fitness. Yes, this is where the key of success lies. It does not matter how far he can go in Australian Open 2008. Rather, it is his determination and willingness needed for a possible revival in his tennis career. So, I will not be surprised if Marat Safin can repeat the Australian Open 2005 success this time around.

No comments: