Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Samantha Stosur withdraws from the Australian Open

Former world No. 1 doubles in WTA Tour, Samantha Stosur is not going to participate in the upcoming Australian Open. Despite some of her best performances in Australia, the twenty three year old has been forced to withdraw from the match because of her illness. Earlier she withdrew from US hardcourt circuit for virus attack. Guardian reports:

The world number 46 only resumed training three weeks ago.

"I am very disappointed I won't be able to compete during the Australian summer," Stosur was quoted as saying by Australian Associated Press.

"I have been back training for the last three weeks, but I've realised that I won't be fully ready to compete at the Australian women's hardcourts, which starts in six days, and I've also withdrawn from the Australian Open.

Though she is feeling bad for not competing in Australian open but she is focused on gaining her fitness.

Born in Australia, Samantha started playing tennis since 1999 and won her first major title in 2001. She obtained the top spot in the doubles in WTA Tour with Lisa Raymond from the United States.

Related article:

Guardian

No comments: